Back

The following is a letter to insidetime, from issue April 2011

Charlie Bronson – labelled by the media

From From Various

Lorraine - a close friend.

I read with interest the comments of Ian Hutchinson (Mailbags – March issue). Whilst appreciating the humour of his letter, I don’t feel he fully understands Mr Bronson’s position. Being able to write a letter is a basic right in prison. Mr Hutchinson states ’35 of Charlie’s years inside are down to him being a pest’. Not quite a justifiable reason for keeping a man caged – largely in solitary confinement. Especially when you consider that confinement is supposed to be a form of punishment, not a way of life. It is even more shocking when you learn that Mr Bronson has spent the last 11 years living peacefully, producing art and donating pieces (and money) to charity. Hardly the actions of a ‘waster’. Unsurprisingly the media choose not to cover this side of the man.

Exactly what point does Mr Hutchinson think Charlie is trying to make? Perhaps I may be permitted to explain the point here – a severe miscarriage of justice. Charles Bronson has spent over 37 years inside; he has served 8 years over the suggested 3 year tariff recommended in 2000 for taking an art teacher hostage. The art teacher was unharmed yet Mr Bronson was given a life sentence. ‘Britain’s Most Dangerous Prisoner’ is not Charlie’s tag, it is the tag hung on him by the media. The same media that reported a ‘butter riot’ that did not happen. Charlie did cover his torso in butter but he was not naked. And he did this as a last resort because 15 people in a row were denied visitation rights to see him. Strange how the newspapers failed to mention the reasoning behind his seemingly ‘strange and bizarre’ behaviour.

For a man who has never taken a life, or harmed a woman or child and whose crimes have almost all been committed behind bars. Does he really deserve to be kept in solitary confinement, without any offer of rehabilitation or chance of parole? Alister Moden’s letter encapsulated the inhumanity of the prison system and the position Charlie is in. How can they continue to keep someone incarcerated because they MAY reoffend?

For those who know Charlie, he is a candidly honest man; he does not possess an ounce of self-pity. He DOES want a programme of rehabilitation, parole, he does want freedom. And, despite reports to the contrary, he has spent the last 11 years alone and living peacefully. Perhaps people could bear that in mind when penning letters – which is the right we all have.


Grow up kid

E Butcher – prison not given

This is a message for S. Taylor (Charles Bronson, the good, the bad and the ugly – March issue); you really need to grow up kid. I’m not meaning this in a bad way, but, obviously, reading Charles Bronson books is influencing your behaviour and causing you difficulties. Stop following Charlie Bronson’s way as it will only get you the same place as it got him, behind bars for the best part of your life. That is so sad as you are only 22. You can change your life, just try and get some help. I know that change is not easy, but at least give it a try. And here’s a message to Charlie himself – it’s time you changed your ways, get out of jail and do something to help the young uns of today, instead of inspiring them to waste their lives.


Advice to Rab C Nesbit

Michael ‘Mally’ Mallinson – HMP/YOI Swinfen Hall

Just thought I’d write a reply to Ian Hutchinson, aka Rab C Nesbit (Mailbags – March issue) on his views about Charles Bronson. Firstly I’d like to say what a hypocrite he is, having the cheek to say he’s ‘in the same boat as Bronson’ and then to slag off his books and saying he chats ‘shite’. My advice to Ian/Rab is to look in the mirror, wipe the shite off your bottom lip and then ask yourself how many books you’ve written and had published from inside a cage?

I would also like to ask Ian/Rab just how long he has been in prison, cos the crap he’s talking sounds like it comes from the 1970s. It sounds to me like he is a very jealous man, and I think that if Bronson reads your letter he’ll tell you where you can stick your string vest!



Back to top

Comments about this letter

30/3/2011 RON CARTER -

What I find disconcerting about Charles Bronson is how many YOIs look up to him as some kind of icon.
Fair enough, Charlie has written books but to suggest that they have any literary merit is a staggering claim for they sold not because of what he had to say but because they were written by a guy who has served many years in prison and by far not the longest whatsoever.The sales were boosted because here was a man who had served years in a cage so that there was some curiosity about him and nothing sells more than true crime.
Charlie was jailed for a 2 bob crime. In fact he was never a face in the armed robbery stakes but what marks him out is that those who were serious blaggers did their bird and got out.
Charlie chose a different route and although he never killed anyone, there are many lifers and IPPS who too never killed anyone and still languish in jail.
Nothing special there then is there?
Charlie could have been out years ago and in fact never have been serving a life sentence but that was his choice and we all have them.
He's not a stupid man and he should know that the prison service is a big firm against who he cannot win. If he believes otherwise, that means he is not a good judge of the world around him and that being so must mean he is not ready for release in their books.
What Charlie has done he has done to himself and whilst we can all have sympathy for his plight, one thing I cannot accept is the immature and childish admiration by many people especially youngsters of his lifestyle.
I am not sure that Charlie could anyway survive life on ordinary location as his freedom would still be restricted by rules and regulations and there would always be those unstable prisoners who would want to take him out to prove a point and he knows it. In fact little mention is ever made of the time he was stabbed in Parkhurst some years ago by someone whose name I shall choose not to mention. He knows who that person was and how other prisoners tried to help to stem the blood.
Charlie has created his own myths including the one about his friendship with the Krays and Ronnie Biggs and many people are led to believe that Charlie was part of that criminal era. He was not.
Charlie is aged 58 and was only aged 17 when the Krays were convicted in 1969 so could never have been a member of the Firm. Likewise, Charlie was aged only 10 when Ronnie Biggs was part of the Great Train Robbery gang who robbed the train in August 1963.
I have a lot of sympathy for Charlie, but I wish we could sweep away the myths, the legends and the bull and just see him as a life sentence prisoner who has had a tough time doing his bird but time he has decided to do his way and in my world, all the world loves a winner and Charlie is definitely not one of them.

30/3/2011 lorraine

Well at last a well written, cogently argued and sensible letter regarding Charlie.
But what I hope I can be permitted to say is this: Charlie never professes to be a gangster or part of the ganger fraternity. He is keen to stress that. But he did have a very real friendship with both Ron and Reg Kray. There are letters in Littledean Museum which bear testament to this, as well as a silver engraved fob watch that the Krays gave to Mickey Peterson (Charlie) as a gift. They corresponded between prisons and when Charlie lost his father, Ron was one of the first to send condolences in the form of flowers and a letter. Charlie felt an affinity with Ron because of their love of art and poetry.
But as I stated, Charlie has always said quite categorically, he is not and never has been a gangster.
On the issue of people idolising him or looking up to him, he feels it is ultimately sad (and slightly baffling) but understands that many people come into the prison system and cannot cope and therefore write to him for advice - or simply to say they admire how he has done so many years. Having never been in prison, I cannot relate to this, but I can understand it.
Although Charlie can be said to be his own worse enemy, don't you think a life sentence and 11 years lived peacefully is long enough.. for a man who's never taken a life or actually caused anyone serious harm? We let murderers and rapists out - in that context it is quite an appalling miscarriage of justice to keep him incarcerated in such conditions. Even a move to a lower category prison would be a start!

31/3/2011 Anon

Lorraine, may I add a comment here? For those who have had the misfortune to share a landing, never mind a wing with Charlie, I can't think of anyone who was ever saddened by his departure. The only reason he has lived 'peacefully' is because he has been removed from the general population, most of whom, as Ron says, only wanted to get their time over and done with. With Charlie in the vicinity this was impossible and wherever he went he left the wings he visited in chaos and uproar. I found him very intelligent, but completely unpredictable. Charlie knew his size would intimidate and used it to his full advantage. Lorainne, Charlie couldn't even survive in the dispersal system - outside life or even a cat C would destroy him. As Ron says, he's best left to it and after all these years is probably happier where he is now.

2/4/2011 Anon

Dear Lorraine,

The people who have never met ‘Charlie’ might think that your description of him was that of a gentle giant, a fatherly type uncle figure. Someone sitting ‘peacefully and quietly’, a little font of knowledge and an ‘agony aunt’ to those about to spend large portions of their lives in the penal dustbins! Why then would he be required to be isolated and kept in a cage, is there some kind of conspiracy going on? To those who haven’t have had the misfortune to spend time with ‘Uncle Charlie’ in dispersal, let me briefly put an end to the fantasy and myth surrounding him.
As Ron says and I completely agree with his post, Bronson is his own worst enemy and thrives in an atmosphere of publicity, fear, and intimidation, a classical bully. You say he has never killed anyone or harmed women and I agree, he knows just how far to go and in his lucid moments is one of the funniest people I ever met. There is a darker side however and many people have experienced that with his veiled threats, the night time performances kicking the door, (this guy was (is) huge) and the many occasions when he would put on his war paint, (cover himself with paint) and go for a rampage around the wing smashing anyone or anything in his path! As Ron said, most of us just wanted to get our time over and done with – Bronson left every wing he visited in uproar and chaos and looking back, I can’t remember one single person who wasn’t glad to see the back of him.

That he is now ‘living peacefully’ is probably down to two things; firstly that he’s getting a bit too old for his performances and secondly that he is now segregated from other people for large periods of time. I also agree with Ron when he says Bronson would be a target in the ordinary prison population, but also that I can’t imagine him living under conditions outside. In a nutshell, I can’t imagine anyone wanting to live next door to him!

Bronson will perhaps one day be released when he’s old and infirm to die in some anonymous hospital bed. Failing that, he will pass away quietly and peacefully in a cage, having done his bird his way. I admire you Lorraine for sticking up for him and attempting to gain people’s sympathy, but although you’re “close”, you’ve obviously never lived in close proximity to him. Bronson is only a folk hero to those impressionable youngsters who have never met him, but it’s difficult for those of us who have to have respect for someone who’s determined to live out their days in a cage like an animal, by choice.

3/4/2011 Steven Battram -

The voice Charlie uses on the phone is not his own voice, it's put on, an act. But then everyone in prison has to put on an act to survive. Prison regimes have changed a lot since Charlie was last on a landing. I would like to see Charlie make some progress. What we have to remember is prison regimes were more 'us and them' environments when Charlie was at his most active. I would like Charlie to experience a private prison. Maybe it might work. POA controlled prisons will always label Charlie as a dangerous threat, and profess only the POA can control this dangerous man. I know Charlie's little drinking partner KS, who accused Charlie of sex allegations. KS only ever talked about dresses and make up, so maybe Charlie has a feminine side. Charlie stated he only went into KS's cell to drink some hooch and for a chat. The fact is I was on KS's landing for years, and saw many people 'slip' quickly in and out of KS's cell. KS used to mince about the landings on tiptoe, like he was wearing highheels. I've always wondered what Charlie was talking to KS about, he's never elaborated in his books other than to say the sex allegation was disproved.

As for Charlie's links with other so-called faces, I think you'll find it's all a media circus. None of the so-called faces would have associated with Charlie other than by letter, as Charlies is/was hard work to be around.

I think the solution is to send Charlie to a private prison, and let them show the POA how its done.

4/4/2011 Anon

"I think the solution is to send Charlie to a private prison, and let them show the POA how its done".
I totally agree.

10/4/2011 lorraine

Thank you for your responses. I am very grateful for them - I'm open minded and always looking to learn more about Charlie. I would like to think I see him as he is today - I cannot profess to know the man that spent time with you guys on landings but I've said to Charlie himself 'My God, you must have been one big pain in the arse!' I don't think I would ever describe him as a gentle giant. He is wider than he is taller and as you said, very well built and powerful. But as someone mentioned, you are all struggling to survive in an male environment where the weak fall asunder... and
I am fully aware Charlie uses his physicality -because it's his strongest attribute. He has also used the media - because if no one knew who he was, he would be a man buried in the system - an unknown case left to rot in a cage, like so many we don't even know about across the Prison System, sadly.

He knows himself he was and sometimes STILL IS his own worse enemy. But I can assure you, he most certainly ISN'T happier where he is. He desperately wants progression. He has just been refused parole in a report where they cannot even get his conviction date right. If he is moved to a wing and starts a riot, fair enough - the authorities were right all along. But after 11 years in solitary confinement without serious incident, doesn't he deserve a chance? He has served EIGHT YEARS over his recommended three year tariff for taking an art teacher hostage. A life sentence, yet he didn't kill anyone, even in his worse moments of rage. Does this seem like justice to you? Hasn't he earned another chance? I'd like to hope that his advancing years have softened him - for the better - and that he could, with the right guidance, lead a life outside. It's not totally inconceivable is it? We release paedophiles and rapists that go on to reoffend and wreck further lives. What is the worse Charlie would do if freed?
No, of course I have never lived in close proximity to him - but I imagine his singing would drive me to distraction.

Thank you for your comments - those that have spent time with him - it's very eye opening to me to get the views of those of you who actually have known Charlie.

11/4/2011 Gerry from Andover

Yes, give the guy a chance.
Much of Charlies bahaviour has probobly been due to nothing more than excessive testosterone levels As you get older you produce less.
He is wasted where he is because whilst he remains in prison he could be gainfully employed as a therapist on a sex offender unit.
I'm sure he would obtain fabulous results in the rehabilitation of this type of offender.
And also, of course, there would be the added advantage of less time for these offenders to stroll round the landings swapping 'Deps' with one another.
Give the man a chance.

12/4/2011 lorraine

May I be permitted to add to my comments? I am NOT trying to gain sympathy for Charlie. He doesn't need or even WANT sympathy. I'm trying to highlight an injustice in our political and penal system. However much of a 'pain,' 'pest' or unpredictable, violent criminal people perceive him to be, the fact remains that he has MORE than done his time and deserves his freedom now. Look at what he has done (especially his crimes OUTSIDE) - does he REALLY deserve all his gets?

His rages and acts of violence were FUELED by being inside, he was locked in a vicious cycle. He DIDN'T do his time peacefully. But despite 11' years doing it the system's way, he is still denied progress, freedom or even association. This makes him angry and frustrated but he has kept his temper and is determined to do so, because he knows he cannot afford any more mistakes. He wants freedom, above all else now.

Charlie KNOWS what he was, and says he deserved every bit of punishment; he never learnt from his mistakes and was an idiot (his words). But continued solitary confinement, unrelenting incarceration and denial of almost ALL things we take for granted (human contact, fresh air, books and education)... this is INHUMANE TREATMENT that sex offenders, child murderers and rapists get.

People need to see past the myth of Charles Bronson. Whatever people's personal feelings about the man (Legend? Lunatic? Monster?), HE HAS DONE HIS TIME. Maybe his way, but he's still done it. Now let him enjoy what is left of his life as a free man, with his family.

13/4/2011 Peter

Lorrainie
I don't know who you are, but you come across as a lovely compassioate person.
I truly hope that your wishes and desires come true. I am also sure that Charlie would honour your expectations.
Let us hope that,just for once, the people who maintain this system can find it in themselves to step back and give this man a chance.
God bless love.
Peter

13/4/2011 Anon again

As you rightly point out Lorraine, it’s a shame for anyone to have spent so long inside, but no longer do many people have sympathy. He has been left to ‘rot in a cage’ as you say because every time he is let out of the cage he starts to perform. He’s so predictable it’s as though he’s a robot.

You say, “But despite 11' years doing it the system's way . . .”, he’s doing it the systems way because he now doesn’t get the chance to do it his own way and wreck havoc, intimidate and bully, which he did every previous chance he got. He is “keeping his temper” now because no one cares if he loses it or not in a cage. It was never about ‘rage’, he’s got no more publicity and that’s what’s hurting him! You also say, “If he is moved to a wing and starts a riot, fair enough - the authorities were right all along”. That’s the problem Lorraine, every previous chance he got to go on a wing, he started his antics over again. That’s the simple reason he is where he is now. It’s not as though he’s been victimized and separated all these years for nothing, which is the message that’s coming across.

He is not Lorraine, even in his advancing years, going to potter about pruning roses in the garden – he isn’t going to change. He’s Charlie Bronson with a reputation to live up to and he’d last about as long outside as he did on previous occasions. No one wants him on a wing and no one would want to live next door to him outside. You won’t change him, old age will do that and that’s when he’ll get his 50th or whatever ‘last chance’.

Get on with your own life Lorraine and leave the elderly and mostly forgotten Charlie Bronson alone with his fantasies.

13/4/2011 lorraine

Hello Anon - I am starting to wonder why you cannot put your name - perhaps your comments are indicative of this.
If Charlie wanted publicity, believe me he could generate it. But it wouldn't be the right publicity and he knows this.
If your comments clearly showed to me that you know the man as he is today, I would be worried. But 'fantasies' being hurt by no publicity...? You don't know him at all but I will concede you may have known him many years ago. I have lost count of the prison screws in Wakefield (who have known him many years) all saying 'He shouldn't still be inside.' They work with him on a daily basis.

He was last on a wing well over 15 years ago and, as he has spent the passing time since then in solitary confinement, I fail to see how you can makes the above claims with any degree of certainly. You sound like you've spent time with him on wings/landings and have obviously experienced his behaviour and how it impacted on the prison as a whole.

If we take ALL of our personal feelings out of it, we are still talking about a violation of human rights and a miscarriage of justice,not proportionate to the crimes committed. Your personal feelings about the man (and MINE) do not come into this. This is about JUSTICE HAVING BEEN SERVED, many years ago. He's paid his time for his crimes, many times over.

Peter, thank you for your lovely comments. I try to be a compassionate person; we are all humans after all - and this is humanity.

:-)

13/4/2011 Steven Battram -

Dear Anon Again (screw)

Charlie should be given a chance. It was the repressive regimes in POA controlled cesspits that are behind Charlie's antics in prison. The POA know how to push someone like Charlie's button. I've known lots of prisoners lose control in POA controlled cesspit prison. I partly blame the POA controlled regime. I'd like to see all prisons privatized. And I'd certainly like Charlie to be sent to a private prison, so they can sort him out. POA prisons will only wind him up further as it suits their purposes.

Only the worst offender in society needs the type of treatment Charlie is receiving. But listening to your comments, you feel it is only the POA who can deal with Charlie. Wrong. Send him to a private prison, they'll treat him more respectfully and not intentionally wind him up for a bit of fun.

13/4/2011 Anon

I can put whatever name you like, as can anyone else. My comments have nothing to do with who I am, they’re to do with my opinions on CB. You’re wrong, CB can’t generate publicity whilst he’s separated from everyone else – no one is listening to him and no one can hear him, as no one has come into contact with him for over a decade. Yes, I’ll be honest, I personally didn’t like the man, I found him a bully and intimidating, manipulative and completely unpredictable. That doesn’t mean I wish him ill, or that he should spend years in solitary – he decided that for himself by his behaviour! I don’t make my comments with certainty, I base them on experience Lorraine, which from what I gather you’ve still to experience for yourself.

Yes, let’s take our personal feelings out of it. Human rights has nothing to do with it and neither has a miscarriage of justice. There are plenty of people serving life whose crime(s) don’t include murder as you well know; they however aren’t locked in away in solitary. He’s there for a reason and you apparently and obviously, say that justice has been served. That Lorraine is your personal opinion and perhaps there’s a reason why he’s still in solitary? Maybe there’s a reason the prison system have, (maybe it’s one of experience and foresight based on past experience), as to why he’s going nowhere? The man can’t even exist on a prison wing, never mind outside in society! That’s true, I don’t know him today, very few people do and if you’re right and he’s made a miraculous conversion to normality I’m all for his release. By ‘humanity’ do you mean forgiveness, or that he shouldn’t be in solitary? Are the only people with ‘humanity’ those that agree with you? There’s a huge difference between compassion and gullibility! Having said that, if he’s ‘normal’ and can live normally in a normal world then let him out, I perfectly agree.

I thought SB would eventually come out with his usual idiotic nonsense – the POA don’t have to wind CB up, he does it perfectly well himself without anybody else’s help

13/4/2011 lorraine again

'no one can hear him... and no one is listening'? Well, I am honey - and so are the many friends, supporters and charitable causes he has helped over the years.
No, by humanity I don't mean forgiveness. I mean what I said, humanity. Nothing more or less. No one has to agree with me (What a boring world if everyone agreed!) Perhaps if you were a bit more receptive to other people's views you wouldn't shoot Mr Bartram down in flames - after all, he isn't agreeing with you or I...!

'No one has come into contact with him for over a decade...?' Apart from his visitors, family, friends, legal representatives, prison staff and other prison visitors, you mean?
Clearly you dislike him - you're not alone in this. But this doesn't change the fact that he has served his time. You cannot give ANY cogent argument for his continued incarceration except your own dislike for the man. Hardly reason enough is it honey?!

13/4/2011 Rifty

Why are you Anon, Anon.
I'm not trying to be fractious in any way: I just wondered why?
I woudn.t bother too much about what SB thinks = 0.
I have never read anything as bitter and twisted in my life and I'm 43.
Having said that he does make you laugh though. I really don't have a clue where the twaddle comes from.
Then again he probobly needs some professional help.

14/4/2011 Ron (Anon)

Ron, but not as in the previous Carter. Anon doesn’t mix me up with the previous poster.

You’re listening Lorraine because you’re one of the few left that can be bothered. As for his ‘work’ with charities, there was never an occasion where it didn’t involve lots of publicity for CB himself. Not that I’m saying that work was wrong or bad, it certainly wasn’t, but there was always something in it for him. Like I said, a self publicist. Having glanced at his website all I see are sycophants and the majority of comments are from people who’ve never met him!

YOU think he has served his time but I’m afraid it’s not up to you to decide. I think I’ve given plenty of coherent reasons why I think he shouldn’t be released. The main one is that he is not able to control himself even amongst the prison population and is why he is segregated. Full stop Lorraine, he’s not a fit person to be out on the streets. That’s nothing personal, it’s why he is where he is. If and when he is, as I’ve said, then yes I’m all for his being released, but there again it’s not up to me either. So we both disagree, but the people who make the decisions are probably more in line with my way of thinking.

Reasons contain arguments Lorraine as to why or why not. I’ve given plenty, you’ve given us your thoughts. There’s the difference.
I continue to be receptive to other people’s views, but only if they can give me reasons for his release. Comments like, ‘He’s served his time’, ‘He’s changed’ and ‘It’s a miscarriage of justice’ aren’t coherent arguments, they’re simply personal opinions from someone who doesn’t seem to have had much experience of CB close up.

As for SB, having read his many posts, I agree with Rifty; ‘take your medication SB, stop worrying and have a lie down’. Mr Battram doesn’t agree with anyone Lorraine, he’s in his own little world still fighting the POA and getting ready to privatise prisons – he had nothing good to say about CB either, except that he was a homosexual and ‘hard work’ to be around.

14/4/2011 Steven Battram

The POA are as much at fault for the Bronson spectacle as Bronson himself. The POA portraying themselves as brave men who have to control a dangerous monster. Bronson is a wannabe, a pussy cat, compared to really dangerous and desperate criminals. I know men who would eat Bronson for breakfast, in a manner of speaking.

Bronson should be prepared for release. But the POA are using him for propaganda purposes to suit their objectives. It is a waste of tax payers money to confine Bronson in the way he is. Times are a changing, the government is begining to realize the POA are crap at managing prisons, the private sector can do it better and cheaper.

I'm overjoyed at the POA losing HMP Birmingham to the private sector, and look forward to many more instances where the POA lose power. Just like the dictators in the world are losing power, so should a brutal organization like the POA.

Bronson should be treated with a commonsense approach, which is in short supply in POA managed prisons. Good riddance to the POA, a hinderance to reforms and well managed prisons.

14/4/2011 lorraine again

Sorry Ron, I thought I was putting reasons. To make my position clear, I have had and continue to have experience of him close up, as much as is possible when dealing with a CAT A prisoner in a CSC Unit.

Point one - I can personally send you 50-100 instances of Charlie's charity work that has NEVER been publicised - because it wasn't what he wanted. (But you're not interested in that, are you?)

Point two - your reason for him not being released is - I quote 'He cannot contain himself.' He hasn't been outside of solitary for some 15 years... so how exactly do YOU of all people know this, please tell me? You seem to know the man as well as the 'sycophants' you mention on his site.

He has spent 11 years in solitary without causing trouble (despite what crap the media report and you choose to believe) - FACT, he has not harmed anyone OUTSIDE of prison - FACT, he does not want, need or intent to return to crime when released - FACT - He has EIGHT YEARS OVER his recommended tariff and SHOULD be given, at the very least, de-catergorisation... FACT.
How many more hard cold facts do you want. Or can YOU list facts that don't involve his behaviour prior to 2000, your personal OPINION that he cannot control himself or can you even speak with ANY degree of knowledge of the man as HE IS TODAY?

15/4/2011 Ron (Anon)

No Lorraine, you are putting forward your own opinions and thoughts. ‘Facts’ are things that have happened or will happen, not your own opinion of things that might or might not. My thoughts are based on practical experience and for that very reason contain facts.

You say you continue to have experience of him close up. No you don’t Lorraine, you probably see him occasionally on his best behaviour. You have NOT lived close to him, probably never have and the last time anyone lived close to him was over a decade ago, (fact).

I’ll say it again, no he can’t contain himself. It might come as a shock to you but it’s why he’s locked away in a little cage separate from the rest of humanity, (fact). Dispersal prisons contain some of the most violent and dangerous prisoners in the UK and even they don’t want him on their wings, (fact). It’s not my opinion that he can’t control himself, I’ve witnessed first hand that he can’t and so have many others – now those are ‘facts’.

Has he changed now? Who knows and if he has, as I’ve previously mentioned, then I agree he should be prepared for release, (my opinion). Doesn’t look like it though, does it?

He has not caused trouble for over 11 years simply because he hasn’t had the chance to, (fact). Where he is now it would be sort of impossible to cause any uproar don’t you think? (fact). It’s like putting him to sleep for a decade and then saying he hasn’t done anything in all that time. Given the chance he has always reverted back to self, (fact).

He hasn’t harmed anyone? Can you please remind us Lorraine exactly why he is in prison or did he just appear there by magic? The armed robbery, theft, hostage taking and violence over the years and the threats to kill? (fact). He’s never killed anyone? Oh, well that’s alright then, is it? Can you remind us how long he lasted out of prison after being released the last time? (how many days? – fact).

By all means give us some ‘facts’. You ask if I can I speak with any degree of knowledge about the man he is today? No and neither can you, (fact), all you have is opinions and thoughts that you try to pass off as facts, but doesn’t history have a habit of repeating itself every time the opportunity arises, especially in the case of this particular fruit cake? (fact).

“He does not want need or intent (intend)? to return to crime . . . ”? That isn’t ‘fact’ Lorraine, that’s your opinion. He “should” be de-categorized? The word ‘should’ again is not a ‘fact’, again it’s your opinion. Not many ‘cold hard facts’ there Lorraine, but an awful lot of your opinions and thoughts that you’re trying to turn into facts.

The wronged, gentle giant, misunderstood, charitable works Charlie is a myth Lorraine; it’s for gullible impressionable people like yourself who still believe in romanticized folk heroes and need a ‘cause’ to latch onto. Sorry to burst the bubble.

17/4/2011 Ron (Anon)

No Lorraine, you are putting forward your own opinions and thoughts. ‘Facts’ are things that have happened or will happen, not your own opinion of things that might or might not. My thoughts are based on practical experience and for that very reason contain facts.
You say you continue to have experience of him close up. No you don’t Lorraine, you probably see him occasionally on his best behaviour. You have NOT lived close to him, probably never have and the last time anyone lived close to him was over a decade ago, (fact).
I’ll say it again, no he can’t contain himself. It might come as a shock to you but it’s why he’s locked away in a little cage separate from the rest of humanity, (fact). Dispersal prisons contain some of the most violent and dangerous prisoners in the UK and even they don’t want him on their wings, (fact). It’s not my opinion that he can’t control himself, I’ve witnessed first hand that he can’t and so have many others – now those are ‘facts’. Has he changed now? Who knows and if he has, as I’ve previously mentioned, then I agree he should be prepared for release, (my opinion). Doesn’t look like it though, does it?
He has not caused trouble for over 11 years simply because he hasn’t had the chance to, (fact). Where he is now it would be sort of impossible to cause any uproar don’t you think? (fact). It’s like putting him to sleep for a decade and then saying he hasn’t done anything in all that time. Given the chance he has always reverted back to self, (fact).
He hasn’t harmed anyone? Can you please remind us Lorraine exactly why he is in prison or did he just appear there by magic? The armed robbery, theft, hostage taking and violence over the years and the threats to kill? (fact). He’s never killed anyone? Oh, well that’s alright then, is it? Can you remind us how long he lasted out of prison after being released the last time? (how many days? – fact).By all means give us some ‘facts’. You ask if I can I speak with any degree of knowledge about the man he is today? No and neither can you, (fact), all you have is opinions and thoughts that you try to pass off as facts, but doesn’t history have a habit of repeating itself every time the opportunity arises, especially in the case of this particular fruit cake? (fact).
“He does not want need or intent (intend)? to return to crime . . . ”? That isn’t ‘fact’ Lorraine, that’s your opinion. He “should” be de-categorized? The word ‘should’ again is not a ‘fact’, again it’s your opinion. Not many ‘cold hard facts’ there Lorraine, but an awful lot of your opinions and thoughts that you’re trying to turn into facts.
The wronged, gentle giant, misunderstood, charitable works Charlie is a myth Lorraine; it’s for gullible impressionable people like yourself who still believe in romanticized folk heroes and need a ‘cause’ to latch onto. CB isn’t a latter day Nelson Mandela!

17/4/2011 lorraine

It's 20 years since anyone lived in close proximity to him. Get it right if you're going to throw FACTS at me. You answered your OWN argument - he hasn't been in the general population for 2 decades (you said 1 but we won't split hairs).
I also said that OUTSIDE OF PRISON he had not harmed anyone. His armed robbery did not involve him harming anyone - FACT FOR YOU. His hostage taking, violence and disruptive behavour - ALL WHILST INSIDE. You repeated his offences back to me in parrot fashion - all whilst INSIDE (the armed robbery aside, of course).
A fact is NOT something that WILL happen, something that WILL happen is a probability, a prediction, a judgement, NOT a fact. Just so you are absolutely clear what a FACT actually is.

Herein ends the lesson and any more time I spend arguing with someone who resorts to using words like 'fruitcake'. I never once called him a gentle giant, misunderstood or believe him to be a 'romanticized folk hero'. He is a man who deserves his freedom. And for how he has survived for so long, in such circumstances, with his wonderful sense of humour, generosity of spirit and his mind intact; to my way of thinking, Ron ANON, (hidden behind your pseudonym), he is more a man than you will EVER be).

18/4/2011 lorraine

May I further add: you don't even KNOW me which makes your PERSONAL COMMENTS about me (gullible, impressionable, needing a cause) highly unqualified. As equally unqualified as your comments about Mr Bronson.You sound like an embittered man who has nothing better to do with his time than use his personal hatred to browbeat those of us trying to show kindness and humanity in this world.
Why don't you go and find something productive to do?

18/4/2011 Anon (Ron)

Oh dear, I seem to have touched a raw nerve here. Does it bring to mind the philosophical quote of ‘The pen is mightier than the sword?’, or is that a teeny bit beyond you? A pun? No? Never mind, forget it.
I’m trying to put this politely Lorraine, but I’m afraid you’re not really educated enough or intelligent enough to argue some of the points raised; I am totally aware of what ‘a fact’ is and have told you so previously. Shouldn’t you be thinking of the word ‘might’ as a probability and a ‘fact’ as something indisputable? You say, “A fact is NOT something that WILL happen, something that WILL happen is a probability” Really? Don’t you feel embarrassed by your lack of basic English and knowledge? Use a dictionary or thesaurus if your not sure; your points will still sound like badly written nonsense, but at least your grammar will sound as if school wasn’t a total waste of time!

His armed robbery did not involve harming anyone? His hostage taking never harmed anyone? Go tell that to the victims! Harm is not just physical, but can also be psychological. The teacher he took hostage in Hull is still suffering after his two days of torture, threats and abuse! Where was his ‘generosity’ and ‘good humour’ towards that particular victim? I don’t need to take hostages and threaten to kill or start eating them alive to prove I’m a better man though, do I? Plus I don’t live in a cage, which sort of proves I’m a man and not an animal!

True I don’t know you, nor would want to, but as for hiding behind pseudonyms, is ‘a close friend’ similar to a ‘cousin’ perhaps? Of course you’re fighting your own corner, nobody but a relation could come out with the half baked uneducated crap that you have. He’s survived with his mind intact? Are you on drugs or something Lorraine? The guy is a weirdo, a danger to others and if he’s more of a man than I am, why he is still locked up in a concrete and steel cage like an animal after all these years? Looks like I’m not the only one who thinks he’s a psychopathic fruitcake, does it?! I do productive things everyday, I go to work and pay my taxes to keep nut jobs where they belong and perhaps yourself on benefits Lorraine? I never browbeat, I just don’t agree with your fairytale version of a proven dangerous and unpredictable individual, who every time he has been let loose amongst other human beings resorts to violence, intimidation, threats and brutality! You miss the point; the reason we don’t hear of ‘good old Charlie’ smashing up somebody or something is because he’s not allowed the chance to do so anymore! I think it’s very admirable of you to fight his corner like you do, but please Lorraine, unless your trying to convince people who haven’t met him, do try to improve on producing a plausible and coherent argument to something that is unlikely to happen, like his being released in the near future for instance. Unlike you Lorraine I’m willing to be proved wrong and unless he’s released when he’s totally old and infirm, I’m also willing to bet he lasts no longer outside than it’s taken me to write this. At the end of the day, if CB had shown ‘kindness and humanity’ to others, his life wouldn’t now be reduced to doing press up’s in a zoo like steel cage? Save it Lorraine, you’re coming across as a bit odd yourself and I don’t have to know you to think that, I judge you purely by your comments and intellect, or rather a lack of.

18/4/2011 lorraine

I'm not related to Charlie. I work and pay taxes (not that this is relevant at ALL or any of YOUR business.
By the way; when you spell 'your' as in "Use a dictionary or thesaurus if your not sure' you spell it 'you're' (which is short for 'you are'). Hope this helps you darling! Get a life.

19/4/2011 Anon (Ron)

I make the odd grammatical mistake because I’m rushing, not a complete series of them. I’ll give you a hint. Instead of concentrating on writing rubbish, which anyone with five minutes to spare on the internet can disprove, why not take a leaf out of CB’s own book, stop portraying him as a much misaligned uncle type of figure and concentrate on a bit of remorse. A quote from CB himself; The Independent 19.5.2008 "What I did was terrible. I was violent and I hurt a lot of people. And I am truly sorry for that." That pretty much puts paid to all the nonsense you’ve written so far doesn’t it? Get yourselves some PR management who have half a brain between them and are more interested in rehabilitation and eventual release than selling CB cups and clothing, plus making films of a supposed latter day system victim. The general public know exactly what he is and a little eating of humble pie might go a long way, along the lines of the above quote, to any public sympathy that might help his path to release. The day he’s ‘man enough’ to blame himself and not everyone else for the mess he’s in might be the day I start to agree with you.
(I don't need a life thanks, I've already got one. We're discussing someone who hasn't)!

19/4/2011 lorraine

What a complete imbecile you are. All you have done is proved my point; that article - aside from being three years old - shows that even in 2008 he was sorry for his crimes! Hahahahaha.
Well done. Thanks!

19/4/2011 lorraine

I'd like to add the following comment from Charlie which he sent me this week on the back of a beautiful piece of art. It's rather pertinent to my original letter and sums up perfectly both the man and his philosophy.

" Lorraine, no two men do their time the same. We all have to do it the only way we can. Some, most, do it peaceful, in a dream. Others do it in a nightmare! However you choose to do your time, it's an individual choice. I NEVER slag or condemn any way others do it. But plenty have a lot to say about how I'VE done it. Well, it's been MY way, and I've really no regrets, and I've defo had more fun than most! Charlie x"

It's time to free Charlie Bronson.

24/4/2011 Anon (Ron)

“What a complete imbecile you are. All you have done is proved my point.” No Lorraine, what you have done is to prove once again that your level of thought and reason are quite a bit below average. Let me explain:

2008."What I did was terrible. I was violent and I hurt a lot of people. And I am truly sorry for that."
2011. “Well, it's been MY way, and I've really no regrets, and I've defo (sic) had more fun than most!”

Which is it? Is he “truly sorry” or does he have “no regrets”? You have been reduced to stating, “hahahahaha” and thinking you’ve made some sort of intelligent point that no one else is clever enough to be able to pick up on. It’s becoming rather embarrassing to have to point out to you the difference between fact and opinion. Every post you make is full of non factual and personal based opinion and even when it’s pointed out to you, you’re incapable of grasping anything at any other level. What you are unable to do and have shown continually that you can’t, is put forward a coherent argument as to why he should be released, except to say he’s changed and has never hurt anyone.

Look at the two quotes from 2008 and 2011 above again. Now, what were your comments about him having changed and always having been a guy who never hurt anyone? It’s not even me saying it, he’s telling you himself that he’s sorry for having hurt people and then says he has no regrets later! What is it that you don’t understand about that? You’re correct, it does perfectly sum up the man and his philosophy!

It seems to me that when it comes to parole CB suddenly has plenty to say about how ‘he’s done it’ and how it’s everybody else’s fault and how he’s a victim himself. The ‘Monty Python’ lifestyle ended with him inside a little steel box and I’m genuinely sorry that anyone’s life has to end in that fashion. Spending your twilight years with a cannibal for company isn’t something you’d readily wish on another human being. That’s not the argument though and the truth Lorraine is that he will never be released until he realises what genuine remorse is. He will never be let out to write his memoirs about how to beat the system . . . how he did it his way . . . how he got what he wanted - it won’t happen. Every time you have mentioned anything on these posts to further his cause you have simply come across as an empty headed protester, hoping that if you shout the same repeated parrot fashion phrases for long enough, others too will obviously believe you. They won’t and possibly for the first time ever you have been told some home truths about CB and given the above two initially quoted facts directly from CB himself as to why they won’t. I think we’ll leave it there Lorraine and I wish you and the others on the CB ‘gravy train’ every success in flogging his T-Shirts, Free Bronson mugs and whatever other money making ideas you can come up with on the back of his misery!

25/4/2011 Simon

As entertaining as all this has been, I've managed to keep from commenting up til now. There have been certain things that have annoyed me in several of the arguments - and it's the fact that almost every story about any form of crime ends up being turned into a anti-sex-offender rant.
A prime example is here "We release paedophiles and rapists that go on to reoffend and wreck further lives. What is the worse Charlie would do if freed?" I'm sorry - but first of all, you should look at the re-offending statistics of convicted sex offenders compared to so-called 'normal' criminals - you might just want to eat your own words. Lorraine goes on to continue her rant by stating that CB is treated in an 'Inhumane way' unlike sex-offenders, child murderers and rapists. We also have "Gerry from Andover" with his pointless comment about CB 'helping' on sex-offender wings. Well done, you just look like an idiot.
Secondly, no-one knows what he will do if he is released. The parole board, MOJ etc have a job to protect the public by looking at the likelihood of harm if somebody is released. It is base, in large part, on statistical analysis - hence the millions spent converting to the OASys reports. I doubt he will ever be released. The best he can hope for is to be put in a very secure hospital where they will keep him so drugged-up that he would be physically incapable of causing any more mischief.
CD has only himself to blame for the situation he finds himself in. He wanted to make a name for himself and got it - you should be careful what you wish for in life, it may not turn out the way you think.
There are many, many people in the prison system who are far more deserving of sympathy than CB.

28/4/2011 lorraine

I haven't read 'Ron's' latest comments, don't have the interest or time (clearly he DOES have time with such lengthy comments) but in the insanity stakes, he is winning by a country mile!

For those who are interested in justice for Charlie, there is a new online petition, search for:

petitiononline bronson


It's time to free him!

30/4/2011 Simon

They should free CB. Right after they overturn all the sub-2-year IPP sentences that were awarded by judges who didn't understand the law. Sentences that have since been ruled illegal, could never be given now, but have been left in place so that those poor buggers who have done a lot less than CB can sit in prison and suffer.
Get priorities right - CB is a risk still. Many of the IPPs aren't, and never really were.

2/5/2011 Alex Brown

I'm just wondering is Ron a troll? It looks like he was deliberately trying to wind Lorraine up.

18/5/2011 anonymous

Charlie Bronson has served a lifetime in prison but has never hurt a soul. He has offended people, rules, laws and regulations but he is a human being just like the rest of us. Show him some compassion and let the man out. Let him live a life in the free world where he can learn to adapt to the values that we have. He is very little different to any one of us. Stop berating him for personal reasons and give the man a chance at life.

5/6/2011 Doug -

I think people who call for Charlie bronson to be punished, whipped, beaten, put into solitude until he dies should question their own humanity. I'm not a religious man and have done horrid things in my own lifetime but even I know the meaning of forgiveness. Mr Bronson has lived a life which he has not lived by choice alone. Instead of practicing the evil that they label him with perhaps they should show the kind of character that they would have him show.

10/7/2011 Mandy -

What everybody should be concentrating on is not, who Charles Bronson is, not who we think we know now or knew years ago. The law is supposed to be fair and impartial. We pride ourselves on a legal system that is based on democracy and civil rights. The question is has he paid the price for his crimes as set out by the judicial system? If he has then there is no question that he should be released.

19/6/2012 Tracey

Charlie Bronson should be freed immediately, put him on tag if need be, keep an eye on him Im sure the media will anyway. This is a terrible cruelty to keep any human caged this way, even the dangerous animals in a zoo have room to move about. Give the man a chance.

5/7/2012 Elaine

I've just dipped into a few of these posts, I'm reading CB's book at the moment - nearly finished it.
He talks a lot of his cousin... Lorraine...who he has always been very close to......??

9/1/2013 Gordon Wilson -

I read that two of the people he took hostage where
Iraqi hijackers, are they still locked up? I doubt it.Our judicial system has even set a one of the Lockerbie plane bombers free.All I see here is selective hatred towards a man who held up a post office in his younger days, and since repeatedly rebelled against inhumane treatment,mostly from criminals who didn't like being incarcerated with him, what is it?Did he prevent you from being the bully boys in there or something? I don't think any of you were in there for being outstanding upright members of society, you are the least of those who should be pointing the finger and judging, but the most vehement in doing so.Ironic.
And where are you now? On the outside, doing what?
Where you rehabilitated? Well the big question is,
did you spend your time in there in solitary? Where you treated like animals? Did you suffer the mental torment he must have being denied any type of human interaction locked in a cage.Obviously not, or I think you'd be a lot more understanding
of the affects that must have on a person who's been kept like a hamster most of his life.If you keep someone in animal conditions you could only ever condition them into behaving like an animal.
That's supposedly the reason why the prison system
began to focus more on rehabilitation rather than punishment.How did prison change your lives? Better or worse? Either way, you didn't spend your time there under the same conditions as the man you are criticising.Be thankful not resentful for it.

1/3/2013 terry barrett -

Well, well well, what a read that has been !! I am sure there are many of you out there who has been around Charlie in some walks of life and maybe you dont feel comfatable around him.... Well i Do !! I do not have any Issues with him and i would just like to say that his release is well overdue and rehabilitation should have started a long time ago.... The prison service or powers that be still release dangerous prisoners out to re offend day after day after day.... I personally feel that Charlie is not a danger to the general public and with the right rehabilitation then he should be released.... i only feel that this rehabilitation should have started a while back.... The man has done far to much time for crimes that he has commited and this should be taken in to concideration.... I must point out that my spelling sucks and i do not use big words but the words i do use, people understand.... I do know Charlie, I do visit, and i do not care how you respond to my above message as i will not be posting a reply to anything you have to say to me.... There are many more things that i would like to say but you are not worthy.... Well said Lorraine.... Kind Regards to you all, TERRY BARRETT

25/7/2013 steve

nobodys perfect everyones a danger think about it does solitary cure or make you madder? only the strong survive but do they mentally? everyones got a story thats life bring charlie out get him the right help reabilitation support the problems not charlie its the systems ways put you in a cage lock the door job done like brushing dust under the carpet it out the way but is it really done? ask anyone in solitary a question what answer will they give? solitarys a danger more than charlie ever will be write to the man show your support buy a t shirt but at the same time think what solitary would do to you try it lock yourself away could you servive a day a week a year would you be a changed man ? nomore said fcb2013

27/8/2013 linzi -

How can i write a letter to charles bronson and how do i find out what prison hes in?

Post a comment

Summary of letters in the Mailbag for April 2011
Know the law
Current page: Charlie Bronson – labelled by the media
Access to our data
CCRC will be destroyed by Bamber
Food wasted as people starve
Still rotting in jail
I am not a sex offender
Injured and abandoned
Snide comments
Licence recalls costing taxpayers millions
Rehabilitation, not medication
Poor excuse for splitting up a family
We should hang our heads in shame
A picture of my life
The blind leading the blind
Gilfoyle is not the only one
Prescott should wake up
Not so independent?
Keep the money, I want to vote!
Police: A law unto themselves
Not welcome in Dave’s ‘Big Society’
Prisoners should have voting rights
MoJ shoots itself in the foot over votes fiasco
British ‘justice’ – don’t make me laugh
Fight for your rights!
Caught bang-to-rights!!!
Thank you, Zoe
Like the McPherson Report never happened

insidetime

Inside Time Latest Issue

Issue : April 2014

Headlines | Mailbag | Poems
Book List | PSI Updates

Advert

Back Issues

 
Back Issues

View backissues and extras

Browse and Search Tools

View headlines by category
Search headlines | All headlines
Search mailbag | All mailbag
Search poems | All poems

April 2014 Headlines
> IPP SENTENCE UNJUST AND STUPID
> They have never had to scrimp and scrape like the rest of us
> Sink the redundant vessels
> Chris Grayling at Policy Exchange
> Is Chris Grayling a sociopath
> Holiday camp prisons...really
> The book ban...
> RIP the presumption of innocence
> Supreme Court hearing bid for exhibits
> ...a black mark on British justice
> Month by Month - April 2014
> Don’t suffer alone
> The growing shadow of historical allegations: police interviews under caution
> To apostrophe or not apostrophe
> A cure for verbal diarrhoea
> Are you on remand
> Fed up with bang up
> just another brick in the wall
> From over the wall
> Don’t You Worry Child
> What price justice
> Parole in the brave new world
> The Deep Web – high tech crime at a new level
> The rationale of recall
> The exclusion of unlawfully obtained evidence
> Parole- IPP and lifer release- better hope

About Us

About insidetime
Directors
Editorial Team

InsidePoetry Book

insidepoetry book New! Volume 5 of
insidepoetry book
is now available!

A collection of poems by prisoners of all backgrounds.

Availabe to buy from this site! Volume 1,2,3 and 4 are also still available and you can SAVE by purchasing bundles!

USP Service

USP from Inside Time

The Useful Services for Prisoners scheme from insidetime provides discounts, vouchers and other benefits from USP Group Members for Prisoners, their families and legal advisors. Click the image above to read more about it.

Subscribe

You can subscribe to insidetime Newspaper and get the paper each month delivered to your door!

Advertise

Advertise your business or solicitors office to a highly defined target audience.

Other Publications

Inside Time has produced a number of books and publications you can purchase online.

Advert

Contact Us

All contact info for the Operations office and the Editorial Team.

Site Map

Our site map page contains links to all pages on the insidetime site.

External Links

We have a number of external websites which you may be interested on our Links Page.

Social Networking


insideinformation

Inside Information

Prisons

Everything you need to know about visiting people in prison; procedures, opening times, directions etc.

Comprehensive information about each prison regime; lock down times, facilities, healthcare etc.

*NEW* Detailed information about IRC - Immigration Removal Centres.

insideinformation Book

insideinformation book
The insideinformation book

A comprehensive guide to prisons and prison related services, designed and compiled by former prisoners.

Advert

Help and Support

Various pages of information for help and support organisations and networks for those in custody as well as recently released. Also information for friends and family.

Grants and Funding

This grants and funding pdf document aims to meet the need of prisoners and ex-offenders for accurate, up to date information on the supplementary funding available to prisoners.

Rules and Regulations

Information on rules & regulations used throughout the prison service.

Glossary of Terms

The Glossary of Prison Related Terms explains what all the acronyms and terms stand for with prison related matters. Includes links to external sites to further explain things.

Fact Sheets

We have produced many Prison Related Fact Sheets inc. Legal Fact Sheets, Parole Fact Sheets and Other related information.

Advert

Find a Solicitor

You can search our solicitor database for listings of solicitors in your area that provide the services you require.

Find a Barrister

You can search our barrister database for listings of barristers in your area that provide the services you require.

Address Finder

You can search our address database in many ways to retrieve contact information for all those elusive addresses you need in a hurry.

Prison Law pdf

This document provides details of leading training providers who offer sound professional training.

Other Publications

Inside Information has produced a number of books and publications you can purchase online.

Site Map

Our site map page contains links to all pages on the insideinformation site.

Contact Us

Use the Contact Us Feedback form to send us suggestions, plus our address and phone numbers.

Advert




insidejustice

Inside Justice

insidejustice was launched in July 2010 to investigate alleged miscarriages of justice.

Full introduction is on the insidejustice homepage

insidejustice Cases

insidejustice Articles & Reviews

insidejustice Advisory Panel Members

insidejustice Sponsors page

insidejusticecontact details